Sunday, July 24, 2011

Homemade lotion & chapstick

I have serious lotion issues. No really I do.  My hands are normally dry, chap and sometimes cracked and bleeding but I hate to put on lotion.  There is just something about the feel of lotion that sits on my skin all day that just does me in. Have you noticed that a lot of lotions do not full absorb into the skin? I finally found a lotion that I just love, but at $20 for a small bottle I struggled justifying it. 

When I found a recipe for a lotion that is not greasy, actually absorbs and works, I thought I would give it a try!

Have you ever heard of hard hand lotion?  Well, it is so rad.  It looks like a bar of soap but the warmth of your hands gently melts it as you apply it to your skin.  It is made from 3 simply ingredients. Coconut oil (I love this stuff), Shea butter, and beeswax.  You could also add essential oils for different scents or even cocoa powder for a soft chocolate scent.  That's it! 

I took the three ingredients, melted them down in a double boiler, poured into molds, and that is it.  It takes less than 20 minutes to be able to enjoy silky smooth hands! As a added benefit, the smell of beeswax and coconut oil is just heavenly!


Beeswax
Beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter

All melted down and ready to pour into the chapstick container
Poor Myla always has really chap lips for her medication.  I'm confident this will help!
Ready to enjoy in less than 20 minutes.

This week I plan to make homemade natural sunblock, bug repellent, diaper rash cream and whipped Shea butter!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Very cool!

Nikki said...

As you said...RAD! I'm so glad to see your blogging about homemade, green, natural, et al. again! YAY! I will so try this (one day...as usual). Where do you get these ingredients in their raw form by the way?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...