Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Snacks

Does anyone else struggle with church snack ideas??? Since we don't do processed snacks our options are limited on things that will not make a sticky mess.  Even when we use to do crackers and such there was a crumb mess so that it did not work either. 

Ideally I should be able to feed my kiddos before we leave for church but my children graze.  I feel that is a healthy way to eat, small HEALTHY meals through out the day.  So church is a long time for them to go without a snack. 

They enjoy raw nuts, grapes and other easy choices but I just thought up some new ideas that I am really excited about.

Dehydrated foods.

Really any dehydrated fruits are a big hit but also carrots and corn or really yummy and sweet.  I was shocked when I tried the corn.  It was crispy and sweet.
Last night I did yogurt drops.  These are really good and unbelievable easy.  I saw a friend give her child gerber freeze dried yogurt melts.  Check out the nutrition label for these.
CULTURED REDUCED FAT MILK, SUGAR, STRAWBERRY PUREE, NONFAT DRY MILK, TAPIOCA STARCH, GELATIN, NATURAL STRAWBERRY FLAVOR, LACTIC ACID ESTERS OF MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, FRUIT AND VEGETABLE JUICE COLORS, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), VITAMIN A ACETATE

I did not have to see the label to know that these were not for use BUT I thought hey I can make something like that. So I came home and searched online and there you go.  Yogurt drops.
All you need is a FULL fat, quality yogurt (or homemade, tutorial to follow soon) and don't be afraid to read the label.  If you can't read it or understand what it is, than chances are you should not be eating it.

Anyway, just drop nickle size dropson your dehydrating tray (the one made for liquid) and dehydrate until it easily comes off the tray.  Once complete keep in a air tight container. Enjoy!

Tonight I'm dehydrating sweet potatoes with seasonings so they will be like a healthy potato chip.

Why Dehydrate?  According to the Energise for Life website, "The dehydration process retains almost 100% of the nutritional content of the food, retains the alkalinity of fresh produce and actually inhibits the growth of microforms such as bacteria."


Any other ideas?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Eating raw has gotten my attention lately. I think there is something to be said for it. During pregnancy, the only foods I could stomach in the first trimester were raw fruits and vegetables. Even now, I feel markedly better when I eat raw. However, I have some reservations about giving up homemade bread, fresh cookies, crockpot meals, etc. I don't think I could do totally raw- maybe 90%. I would love to get a dehydrater for all those benefits you listed. I'll have to check on the price range on those.

Wilkins Clan said...

This is what I learned

Most people who get into raw food don’t eat a 100% raw diet for various reasons. You can receive many of the benefits of raw foodism without the dedication that’s required to be entirely raw: just eat at least 51% in of each meal raw. That magic number allows your body to recognise enough of the food to digest it, rather than attack it.

When you eat cooked food, your body doesn’t recognise it: it causes leukocytosis. This is where white blood cells are released into the stomach to deal with the “invader”. Your body doesn’t know the difference between cooked food and a virus. Having leukocytosis many times a day is the reason why our bodies can end up in a terrible auto-immune self-attacking state. Imagine the lift from your body’s load if half of your food was raw and you didn’t suffer from leukocytosis.

Just remember the magic number:
51% raw.

Nikki said...

You were right about the corn! I tried it and it was totally fine! I thought it would be too tough to eat dry but not at all! Looks like I'll be doing a lot more so we can have both snacks and food storage. Can't wait to try the yogurt 'cookies'. I did do the same with applesauce before and the kids loved it! Applesauce leather is their favorite! I have my dehydrator now so feel free to use it :) Oh, well, I do have to get those 80 pounds of apples I bought finished, but after that feel free to use it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...