Friday, May 6, 2011

Garden Leeks

My garden is exploding with leeks this time of year.  It has been way to warm to make a leek and cauliflower soup (a family favorite) so I went on a search to find something yummy and fresh to make.

I found a Garden Leek Salad  here that sounded really good.

Garden Leek Salad

Ingredients


Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced thinly crosswise

2 ripe tomatoes or cherry tomatoes

1 cucumber

1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro leaves for garnish

Method

1. Whisk together lemon and oil with a healthy pinch of salt and several grindings of pepper. Toss with leeks.

2. Core large tomatoes, cut them in half horizontally, and shake out their seeds, squeezing gently. Chop. Peel the cucumber if necessary, cut in two lengthwise, and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Slice thinly.

3. Combine all ingredients, and taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish, and serve.

Really fast, fresh and easy.  What a great lunch or snack idea!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds really good and refreshing. Can I come to Tiffany's Market and buy some leeks and tomatoes??

Nikki said...

Wow that looks gooood!

Wilkins Clan said...

I will bring you leeks today. Sorry I'm buying my tomatoes at the farmers market.

Forrest said...

I have been too, but they are so expensive. All I can afford is a little basket of cherry tomatoes for $4, and they last about a day or two. The big ones look too pricey. I am hoping that when the local market opens and summer draws near, the price will go down.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...