Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eat Your Beets

I found a new recipe for beets that even your kids will LOVE.  Myla and Sariah ate a whole bowl each in one sitting and then asked for more.  Myla said it was delicious and taste like heaven.  Silly girl!

But really if you like apples or applesauce you will love this.  The apples really give the beets a sweet taste.

Ingredients
Raw beets unpeeled*
Raw apple unpeeled*

On the small side of a cheese grater, grate 1 beet to every one to two apples.  I think one to one is a perfect ration but see what works best for your family.

*I keep the peels on my veggies because they have such high amounts of nutrients.  In beets they have a high concentration of betalains in the peel.   Ideally I would like to use organic especially since I am using the peel.

Beets have a lot of health benefits such as powerful nutrient compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers, especially colon cancer.

3 comments:

Katie said...

After you peel them do you just eat them like that or did you cook them.

Wilkins Clan said...

No its eaten raw. Like a cold salad.

Nikki said...

I liked it with 2 apples to 1 beet with crushed walnuts on top :) I will probably drain them next time or squeeze the excess liquid out, the apples were pretty juicy. I might try it with a squeeze of lemon juice as well. Keep the ideas coming :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...