Saturday, March 5, 2011

Homeschool reasons

Since I moved to the town I live in six years ago I have grown and learned so much. I have been exposed to a lot of really different ways of thinking. I have taken bits and pieces and built on them for myself and my family.

One of the ideas I learned about was homeschooling. Like most people my first thought was, really? What about socialization? The more I researched it the more I understood the benefits and soon started to feel like that was a gift I wanted to give to my children.

Myla was still young and so I did not think about it for a while. And really she was so sick we were just in survival mode for some time. For the past year I started thinking about it more and more. I was not sure if it was just something I wanted or if I was being prompted to homeschool. I prayed about it and the next night I got an overwhelming feeling that that was something we needed to do. The feeling was so strong, almost like I felt a panic about putting Myla in school.

The concern I had was Kirk and most of our family are not supporters of homeschool. I prayed that night and said if this is something that needs to happen then the Lord would need to pave a way.

The very next day Myla had her monthly appointment with her Nephrologist. In that appointment her doctor brought up vaccinations and school. The medicines Myla is on shuts down her immune system and so she has not been able to get vaccinations since she was three years old. In discussing Myla's options for school her doctor said it would be risky to put her in school. As it is now she can not be around anyone that is sick. We can not have her live in a bubble we are just very careful if we know someone is sick.
In a classroom that has around 25 students, that is 25 germ carriers and 25 kids that could and will come to school sick. That is not a risk we are willing to take.

Then her primary care doctor said the same thing. Keep her out of public school until her body can handle the germs that come a long with school.

Complete answer to prayer. Kirk and I agreed with the doctors and we have now since enrolled Myla in a wonderful charter school in our area.

As promised, here are just a few reasons why I love homeschooling. The more I researched it the more I fell in love with it. Myla is excelling and Sariah is learning so much just from listening. So far it really has been a blessing for our whole family.

1.) Your child gets one on one teaching. Most children learn better, faster, gain a love for learning and really excel.

2.) You can go at your child's pace. Work on areas they struggle with more and areas they get easy, you can cover a lot more curriculum faster.

3.) You know exactly what your child is learning and what your child is NOT learning.

4.) You can teach your child age appropriate things as you see fit rather than them learning from their peers.

5.) No peer pressure.

6.) Their family is the role model not their peers.

7.) Parents don't get tenure. (Not sure what I mean? Watch this and Saving Superman. I promise both are worth your time. Even if you are not interested in homeschool, they are great at helping you be a more proactive parent with your child's education!

8.) You can pray with your children throughout the day or have scriptures be part of their learning.

9.) There are some GREAT Homeschool Charters that give you a budget to pay for your curriculum and even pay for your child to do dance, piano (or any musical instrument), martial arts, etc.

The best teacher in the world, with the best abilities and character can only function within the system to the degree that the system allows him/her to function.

There is this great site that talks all about my church and homeschooling. Check it out here.

This is a quot from the site.
Joseph Smith
If children are to be brought up in the way they should go, to be good citizens here and happy hereafter, they must be taught. It is idle to suppose that children will grow up good, while surrounded with wickedness, without cultivation. It is folly to suppose that they can become learned without education. (Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 273)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So glad you are going in the direction you have been led through prayer and inspiration! I'm sure it will be a good one for your family. Blessings to you guys.

Katie said...

"But, everybody's doing it." Does that not work with Kirk? j/k

I saw you in passing today (driving). We need to get together.......

Melanie said...

Where do you get information about online charter schools and funding? I'd be interested...
I'm so impressed with your ability to do so much for your family (and yourself). You are quite an inspiration. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...