Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homemade Gnocchi

Last night we had a family favorite, homemade Gnocchi.  Kirk learned how to make gnocchi in Argentina and I have since carried on that tradition with our family.  I love them since they are so versatile.  They work just like a pasta but taste so much better.  So here is what I made last night.  I cheated a little and used potato flakes (so much faster).  Traditionally you boil potatoes and go from there.

Follow the jump for the recipes.


"Quick" Gnocchi



  • 1 cup dry potato flakes


  • 1 cup boiling water


  • 1 egg, beaten


  • 1 teaspoon salt


  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper


  • 1 1/2 cups white or wheat flour


    1. Place potato flakes in a medium-size bowl. Pour in boiling water; stir until blended. Let cool.
    2. Stir in egg, salt, and pepper. Blend in enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Turn dough out on a well floured board. Knead lightly.
    3. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a long thin roll, the thickness of a breadstick. With a knife dipped in flour, cut into bite-size pieces.
    4. Place a few gnocchi in boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked.
    I have seen special tools to make the right shape with the gnocchi but Kirk taught me to take a small piece of dough, roll it over a fork with my thumb to form a shell.  It takes some practice.  Homemade gnocchi take time if you roll them all by hand but the idea is to have the whole family in the kitchen helping.  It is a great time to talk and enjoy preparing a meal together. 

    I added homemade pesto sauce over top of them and my family could not get enough! I doubled the recipe so there was plenty for lunch today.

    Homemade Pesto Sauce

     3 cups fresh basil leaves
    1 1/2 cups chopped raw pine nuts
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper

    I put everything in my Vita Mix and blended until it was smooth but a food processor would work perfect also.

    Enjoy!

    2 comments:

    Nikki said...

    I should have asked you for your recipe. I tried making mine, the 2nd time I've every tried, and they were a disaster, just like the first time! Grrr. I'll try your recipe!

    Katie said...

    You know, if you put the gnocci concoction in a pastry bag without a tip on it and then squeeze them into the boiling water and cutting as you go with scissors, it cuts down on the time to make them. No rolling them out, and cutting them. We love gnocci too......because Sean served in Argentina as well. =)

    too bad you don't eat meat, we have an awesome Milanesa recipe that Kirk would probably love! =)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...