Monday, December 13, 2010

Perspective

Myla has relapsed again......

I saw this story tonight and my heart goes out to this sweet girl and her family.

The news story is about a little girl named Keyara Walls. She has Nephrotic Syndrome just like my Myla bear does. Keyara was diagnosed when she was only 1 and is now 6 years old. Her Nephrotic Syndrome does not seem in control like Myla's is for the moment but it scares me, really scares me to read this and think about how quickly Myla's life can change.

I have felt so blessed that Myla has had a break from high dose steroids for about a month. She has slimmed down some and her mood has been more even.....

But how as a mom do I not scream out and say no I do not want to give her the bad drugs any more. No I don't want to make her body hurt. No I do not want to cause anymore damage to her body or her eyes. No I do not want her to gain weight and then for her to feel embarrassed that she is wearing a leotard for her dance performance and people will see her "big belly" (Myla feels that way not me).

Then I think I want my daughter to live so I give her the bad drugs. Knowing that even if she one day grows out of this that there will still be last effects for everything we gave her to save her life.

I cry for my little girl, I cry for all the kids that have it so much worse than Myla.

Please take a few minutes to read Keyara's story. It really helps put life or trials in perspective.

(In Keyara's picture I know those cheeks all too well. Notice how large her face is but how little her ankles are. That is so Myla when she relapses)

4 comments:

cambridgeclan said...

Thanks for the perspective.

Nikki said...

Oh that was so sad :( I was really holding back tears! She's so cute too! I'm sorry about Myla. I could not tell at all that she relapsed, she has thinned out and gotten taller. We'll just keep praying that she will outgrow it!

Lisa said...

It just doesn't seem fair. You wonder why some people, especially children, have to suffer so much. I can't imagine being the mother. I know we all lose perspective until we hear stories like this or go through a hardship ourselves. It kills me to know that Myla is on steriods, because I saw what they did to my dad, a 200 lb. grown man, and Myla is just a little girl. But do you really have a choice? I'm sure that in the future something better will come along, but like you said, right now it is what's keeping her alive. I don't understand it.

Katie said...

Ugh. My prayers are with you. Sweet Myla, I love you and am so sad you have to go through this again and again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...