Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sensory Tag Blanket Tutorial

As promised, here is my version of the sensory tag blanket. I am not a rule-follower when it comes to sewing. I am self taught, so I hope this tutorial makes sense to you.

I like my tag blankets small because then they can fit into the diaper bag, go in the car, or be carried into church. Large blankets would also be nice to throw on the floor as an activities mat. Either way they are so cute.

Items Needed:
Top fabric
Bottom fabric
All different kinds of ribbon cut about 2 inches long
fabric pins
scissors
toy rings (optional)
button snaps (optional)
Iron (optional)
buttons (optional)

First, pre-wash the fabric you decide to use. Don't tell anyone but I never pre-wash. I know, I know, those are the rules but I don't like that rule and I have not had a problem yet...
Choose a size that works for your needs, then cut out two pieces of cloth, a top and a bottom.

With the wrong side face up I fold 1/4 inch all the way around the top and bottom of the fabric. You could either pin it in place or I like to iron it in place.


Fold your ribbons in half and pin them on the bottom fabric all the way around. I like to put my ribbon in a pattern so the whole thing matches. Either way works.


Pin the top fabric to the bottom fabric with "wrong sides" together.


Now sew a single stitch around the entire square close to the edge.

You could now be done or here are a few more options that I put on mine.

I like the idea of a pocket. It is great for small books or toys.

For the pocket, cut a piece that looks nice with the size of blanket you made. Next, fold down the top 1/4 inch and sew a straight line. Then pin/iron down 1/4 inch all the way around the pocket on the three other sides. Pin the pocket to the blanket and then sew the three sides down.


Last I like to add buttons to one tag on each side of the blanket. That way I can attach new toys to keep the blanket fun. There are many kinds of buttons at the fabric store. As you can see in the pictures are sewn in place. They work but are not my favorite. My favorite buttons are hammered in place.

Attach toys to the tags to make a super cute tag blanket!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I saw you with that at the craft night and meant to comment on it! What a great idea. I definitely want to make one... or two. : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...