Thursday, September 9, 2010

Green Friday

Since I have been camping for I think three or four time this summer I thought a post on green camping would be appropriate.

There is so much waste done in camping so I thought I would share just a few ideas that my family does.

1.) We bring dishes (metal or plastic) and a tub to wash them in. Most camping meals are so simple either cooking over a fire or in a dutch oven that there are just a few dishes to wash. So why waste money and the environment on paper cups, plates, plastic forks, etc.

2.) The old Boy Scout rule, "What you take in, you must hike out". Well if you are taking it out anyway why not have two bags one garbage, the other recycling.

3.) So I know I have issues with processed food. But there are some really yummy alternatives than your regular camping foods. Like homemade whole wheat graham crackers and homemade marshmallows. I have made these before but this last camping trip I knew there was going to be some s'more action so I thought I would bring my own. Well that was a great idea until Dillon ate all the crackers on the way there. They must have been good. Anything homemade does take a little more planning but the taste is sooo much better and there is far less waste.

4.) Soda, juice and bottled water. Besides the fact that soda is horrible for you and instead of drinking juice doctors say it is so much better to just eat a piece of fruit. Think of all the waste each can, juice box or water bottle creates. Even if you recycle there is still so much waste in the item being produced and then recycled that really never needed to happen. So here are a couple alternatives. Water is best for your body and a 5 gallon water containers work great. If you have to have your soda or juice box think of buying the big 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon containers. It is normally less waste than all the individual containers.

That is just a couple ideas but even the smallest ideas help. I would love to hear some ideas that you can come up with.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...