Saturday, August 7, 2010

Green Friday

Saving Gas

Have you ever stopped to think about how much gas is wasted by leaving your car idling?

For every two minutes your car is idling it uses as much gas as driving one mile.

So a good rule of thumb is if you are going to idle for more than 30 seconds turn off your car. Ten seconds of idling can use more gas than restarting your car.

My favorite myth is your car needs to "warm up" before you drive it like on a cold winter day. When really idling is not an effective way to warm up your car. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away.

Saving Bags

The past few years it has become more and more popular to purchase reusable bags. Now I say purchase because so many people buy them and yet forget to use them.

Have you ever stopped to find out about how bad it really is to use paper or plastic? I will list just a few reasons but check out here for a list of 25 reasons to remember those bags!

1.) A plastic shopping bag can take anywhere from 15 to 1000 years to decompose. In a compressed landfill, deprived of atmosphere to help them biodegrade, paper bags don't fare much better.

2.) Plastic bags make up over 10% of washed-up debris polluting the US coastline.

3.) An estimated one million birds and 100,000 turtles and other sea animals die of starvation each year after ingesting discarded plastic bags which block their digestive tracks.

4.) Made with chemicals processed at high temperatures, paper bag production releases many toxins into the atmosphere at much the same rate as plastic production.

5.) Over a lifetime, use of reusable bags by just one person would save over 22,000 plastic bags. Isn't that even better incentive?

Here two ideas to remembering to bring in your bags at every store not just the grocery store.
One put a note on your dash board (this helps me) or maybe putting your shopping list and purse in one of the bags when you are getting into the car.

I really have enjoyed changing over to reusable bags. Give it a try and see how much you like it!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I just bought reusable bags at Trader Joe's yesterday and I love them! It gave me a little boost knowing I was doing something good.

Nikki said...

What do you do about the garbage bags? Do you think it's better to use the plastic bags from the grocery store as garbage bags or buy garbage bags? I've been using plastic bags from the grocery store for the garbage so that I don't have to buy plastic, that just seems pointless. If I have a lot of groceries I use some plastic and some reusable. It just depends. What to do what to do.

howellblog said...

Good ideas...I'm with Nikki. If I didn't use the plastic grocery bags at the grocery store, I'd be buying bathroom garbage bags. So it's better for me...Maybe Nikki, if you get too many plastic bags to reuse and end up throwing them away, the reusable bags would be better. I sometimes use the reusable ones too. Good for you Tiffany!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...