Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Something fresh

On Saturday I went to check out the farmers market in Citrus Heights and I was really impressed by the size and everything they had available. It is amazing how many farmer markets are available in this area.



Tonight I tried a new recipe and I really loved it! So don't be scared by the name. One of my friends ate it tonight that does not like beets and really like it.



Beet Casserole

5-7 beets
(trim all but 2 inches of greens and save for later)
bake or boil the beets until fork tender. Run cooked beets under cold water; slip skins and stems off, set aside.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 onions, coarsely chopped
(saute onions in oil)

Beets, cooled and grated
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Grate beets into medium bowl. Add cheese, onions, salt and pepper, and toss to mix thoroughly.

Pour mixture into baking dish. Bake 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot throughout and cheese is melted. Now take the beet greens and lightly stem and top with fresh lemon juice.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love fresh beets! I used to get them in my produce box and they were so good.

We went searching for the Farmer's Market in EDH today and it wasn't there! So bummed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...