Sunday, May 9, 2010

Capri's Birth Story

They say no two labors are the same and this labor and birth was no different. I was having contractions on and off for probably a week. The night before I went into labor we went to a church activity and I was having contractions every time I walked. Not easy when I was chasing around a busy two year old. That night I knew labor was close and really all that week I thought I was going to go into labor on Sunday. Sariah was born on a Sunday and I really liked how peaceful the day was.


Saturday morning started early. My mom treated me to a spa manicure and pedicure at the beautiful Hoshall's Spa in Folsom. She met me at 8:30am with a Starbucks hot chocolate in hand for me. The women that did my hands and feet was wonderful. She had raise six kids and loved every minute of it. My mom, myself and the other ladies spent the morning talking about how wonderful and amazing childbirth is. My mom was such a proud mom and talked about being there for Sariah's birth and how proud she was of me. It was so empowering to be there with other women wishing me well and being so excited for the upcoming birth. It was two hours of pure much needed pampering and mom time!

Then I went home and spent the rest of the morning cleaning. All four kids helped out while Kirk was at school. By the time he got home I was to tired to cook dinner. So we planned on going out to dinner and then shopping. I was having contractions before we left the house but really I was having them all week so I was not sure if they were going to go anywhere. By the time we got to El Dorado Hills for dinner they were five minutes apart and when I walked they were right on top of each other. When I told Kirk he started to panic a little. With Sariah my labor went really fast and two pushes later she was here so he did not want to take any chances of having her in the car. We dropped the kids off with my mom on the way to the hospital and Kirk took this as his "one chance" to speed and let me tell you we made really good time to the hospital. I knew they were five minutes apart but I was talking and laughing between contractions so I was not to worried.

When we got to the hospital I was 5 cm and 95 percent but not in active labor. So once we were settled in the room Kirk and I went for a walk. I know it sounds weird but that night felt like a date for both of us. We walked the halls, danced during contractions, and enjoyed the stars out on the terrace. It was so peaceful. Kaiser likes to have the baby on the monitors for about 20 minutes every hours just to make sure. During contractions Capri's heart rate kept dropping but would then come back up. There was a few times that her heart rate stayed down for a little bit so I was on the monitors for awhile to make sure everything was ok. I spent what I now know as transition in the shower. Warm water really helps you relax during contractions. I have never tried it before so this time I decided to give it a try. I got really hot in the shower and when I got out I felt like I needed to use the bathroom. But I realized that it was my need to push. I tried to walk back to the bed but I could not walk. Capri was coming right then and she would not wait for such conveniences as a bed. I called for Kirk and told him that I needed to push. Just as he came in the bathroom my water was breaking and Capri's head was coming out. He was so funny, "the only thing he said was your waters breaking, on my that's the head". He then ran to the door and yelled to the nurses station, "HELP". When he can back she was half way out and then he turned to see if they were coming and turned back and I had delivered her. There was like four nurses and one doctor that ran in. They started laughing and saying, "Umm you know you are not suppose to deliver her in the bathroom right"? Her cord was wrapped around her neck so that explains the drop in heart rate. I spent the next few hours being completely in awe over this sweet new miracle.

Kirk has always given his new babies their first bath in the hospital. For some reason this was the first one I was able to see. He was so sweet and gentle with her.

Capri's birth was so calm and peaceful. Even after having three babies, each time feels like the first time when I hold them in my arms. We are madly in love with our new daughter and I pray that she will not be my last but I will enjoy her like she is.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Tiffany! My hat goes off to you. This is such a beautiful story, and I enjoyed hearing it again. It is so amazing to me how in control of your birth you were, and how you timed everything just right. I never cease to be amazed at the power of your mind. You are a perfect example of the capacity of women in childbirth, and I know your story will be an inspiration to many!

Amy Beatty said...

All I can say is this is the best and coolest story EVER!!!

Nikki said...

come on now you left out the best part....WHERE were you sitting...huh huh???JK! I Love this story and I love how good you are at delivering your own babies!

Katie said...

I'm totally going to try that (*said with valley girl accent*)

This is a really cool birth story..I absolutely love it!

She is a BEAUTIFUL (understatement) little girl. Great job Tiffany!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...