Monday, March 29, 2010

Favorite Whole Wheat Bread Recipes


Right now I have two favorite whole wheat bread recipes so I thought I would share. One is for the bread maker and one is done in the mixer.

This first one I converted it to be made in the bread maker. This one is a little more sweet than the second one and also has white flour in it (or you can use hard white wheat that I get at the cannery)


1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp and 1 1/2 tsp butter
1 3/4 cup white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Throw in your bread maker on dough cycle. I ALWAYS bake my bread in the oven. It turns out so much better than being cooked in the bread maker. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. You can brush with melted butter if you like.

This one is 100% whole wheat and by far Kirk's favorite bread ever. Well except for my rolls but that is different right. Now if you are baking with your own fresh ground wheat you have probably noticed by now it sometimes is a little harder to get the bread to rise and be as fluffy at white bread. I really think this recipe gets it really close to the fluffiness of white bread without sacrificing the nutritional value of whole wheat bread. This one is done in the mixer or by hand.

3.5 cups warm water
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup honey
put in the mixer and let the yeast proof.

Then add
3.5 cups wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 heaping tbsp olive oil
mix it up and let sit one minute.

Then add
3.5 cups more wheat flour
mix on high for 7 minutes with a dough hook
let rest 15 minutes

put dough on flour surface and divide in half. Then place dough in bread pans.
Let rise until it rises above the rim of the pan.
Bake 350 for 35 minutes.

Super easy and crazy good. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmm, can't wait to try BOTH of these!

Ruth M said...

I just learned that the reason wheat bread doesn't rise like white is that the bran and other things that make it "whole" wheat actually cut the gluten fibers, making it impossible for the bread to rise like white bread. And here I thought I was doing it wrong :) Excited to try your recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...