Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Homemade Soy milk

OK so as I have been told I am a nerd but here is another recipe that I really like. Homemade soy milk (and rice milk if anyone is interested). The cost is less than $1 for a gallon of soy milk. If you are lucky you can get cows milk for about $3 a gallon. Who knows what has been added to it. At least you know with this and cows milk is really not great for you anyway.

Ingredients:

1 cup dry soy beans (I buy in the bulk section at Winco for 71 cents a pound)

6 cups water

2 tsp vanilla

add sugar to taste. It should be a little sweet to the taste

(I did three batches to equal about a gallon and added less than 1/2 cup sugar).

Step1: Soak soy bean over night in a large bowl with lots of water about 10 - 16 hours.


Step2: Dump out old water and put soy beans and fresh water in blender for a few minutes.


Step3: Sieve the mixture trough a cheese cloth and recover the soy milk. The insoluble material which remains on the sieve is called okara, and can be used as an ingredient for bread making in place of flour.


Step4: Heat the soy milk till boiling point (watch because it will boil over if not careful) and continue boiling for about 5 to 10 minutes. After cooling, the soy milk is ready and can be kept in the fridge for another 3 days.If you put the soy milk in clean glass container it can last more than week.
Step 5: This is where you can added a 2 teaspoons of vanilla and sugar.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Yes, but you were called a nerd by a nerd who is going to be doing this too! I never would have become this green without you! Now, if I could just get your green thumb and stop killing all plant life form around me!

Amy Beatty said...

That is crazy amazing. We soaked soy beans over night just to roast them. We need to try this.

Katie said...

My mom does this.

Did you know that you can also make that soy milk into tofu by adding a teaspoon or so of vinegar .....stirring, and then pulling out the solid parts and putting them in a tofu press?.....

don't quote me on that because I've only SEEN my mom do it but never done it myself.


Also, my sister started a vegan blog....but many of the recipes call for okara or tofu or soy milk.....check it out

http://wanna-be-vegan.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...